These delicious recipes from the Grocery Outlet Buyer’s Kitchen are created by our NOSH buyers. They work hard to scout out the highest quality and most varied selection of NOSH products at the best prices possible! As they find tasty NOSH items, they develop these recipes to share with you. Enjoy!
Getting back into the swing of school calls for some new fresh, fun, and healthy lunch ideas! Bento boxes (available at GO for $6.99 on average) are a great way to add a variety of healthy foods to keep your kids happy & healthy throughout the day! Creating faces and adding bit of personality to regular ol’ sandwiches is a great way to disguise and incorporate extra fruits and vegetables.
All of these inspirations are versatile in terms of ingredients. You can create these “bento friends” with your child’s favorite sandwich variety. We recommend sticking with whole grain breads and tortillas such as Dave’s Killer Bread available every day at GO for only $3.99 -WOW!
Sammy Sushi- Turkey & Cheese with Chipotle Mayo
A great substitute for a traditional sandwich is a wrap! We have cut our wrap into mini “Sammy Sushi” bites and stacked them in our bento. If you have a child with a more adventurous palate, try a flavored spread instead of regular mayo, like all-natural Just Mayo Chipotle available at GO for just $1.49 – SCORE!
- 3 pack Kraft Cheddar Cheese Slices $4.99
- Just Mayo Chipotle $1.49
- La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Tortillas $0.99
Bento Friends & Shapely Sandwiches
Large cookie cutters are a great way to spice things up AND cut crust off your everyday sandwich! We used 4” shapes which provide a perfect sized sandwich for kids! Got an anti- sandwicher on your hands? No problem!
NOSH Valley AB& J on Whole Wheat
- Marantha Creamy Almond Butter $4.99
- Santa Cruz Organic Grape Jelly $1.99
- Dave’s Killer Bread $3.99
The Anti- Sandwicher
- Tillamook Individuals – 5/ $1.00 WOW!
- Laughing Cow Mini Babybel cheese – 4/$1.00 WOW!
- Precious Mozzarella String Cheese 16 oz $3.99
- Luke’s Multigrain Chia Seed Crackers 20 oz box $4.99 SCORE!
- Sabra Hummus 25 oz $3.99
- Stacy’s Pita Chips 7.3 oz $1.49
- Hidden Valley Organic Ranch Dressing $1.99 WOW!
- Mixed Vegetables ( bite size) $2.99 – ***rule of thumb use 70% vegetables and 30% cracker, chip or pretzels for dipping!
Butterfly Snack Bags
GO offers a wide variety if delicious, healthy & affordable snacks. We recommend all natural and organic items such as Annie’s Snack Mix & Bunny Grahams. Trying to curb a chip habit? Kale chips, seaweed snacks, and popcorn are a great substitute! These butterfly bags allow you to segment out a sensible portion of snacks with more sugar and incorporate more fruits and vegetables:
- Rhythm Kale Chips (Kool Ranch) $1.99
- Erin’s White Cheddar Popcorn $1.99
- Annie’s Organic Snack Mix OR Grahams 4/$1.00
- Annie’s Bernie’s Farm Chocolate Cookies $1.49
- Gratify GF Pressels $1.49
- Gluten Free Fig Bars- $0.59
- Power Bar Performance Energy Fruit Squeeze $3/$0.99
- Mixed Buts Rainbow Trail Mix 22 oz – $4.99
- Chobani Greek Yogurt tubes 8 pk $1.99
- Mini Mandarins bag $2.99
- Green Grapes $3.99
All you need is:
- Wooden clothespins
- Pipe cleaner
- Googly eyes
- Hot glue or Tacky Glue
Simply wrap the pipe cleaner around the hinge of the clothespin and twirl the ends to create an antenna and glue on the eyeballs. ** If using hot glue make sure Mom glues on the eyes. Fill a sandwich size bag 1/2 full with your desired healthy snack, seal, and fold with zipper facing backwards. Clip the bag in the center and voilà!