East Asian Studies blog
What is this?
I started East Asia Student in the second year of my East Asian Studies degree at university, and it's sprawled and spread out ever since. The main idea was to create an 'East Asian Studies blog', but I had all sorts of ideas for what it could be, and worked with varying levels of enthusiasm to try and turn it into all of them at different points in time.
Articles on this site now include my notes from class, an array of translations of various original texts from East Asia, explanations of all sorts of things from grammar to software, commentary on current events, arguments and debates and various other bits and pieces. The only common thread tying it all together is that everything is related to East Asia in some way.
As the title of the site suggests, I'm a student and not an expert. I've graduated from university now, but I continue trying to learn and study things related to East Asia, particularly languages. As I go along, I try to write up and document what I'm learning here. This helps me keep track of my progress, and the things I write might turn out to be useful to someone else who's studying something similar. Despite that approach, a lot of people seem to think that I'm pretending to be an expert here, when that's really not my intention.
East Asia Student was the first website I ever set up, and despite it getting pretty messy, disorganised and eclectic, I've never given it up. I've since set up far more focused, neater websites with clearer goals (e.g. Chinese Grammar), but I'll carry on producing random content here on East Asia Student for the time being.
- 196 劉長卿 長沙過賈誼宅 translation: In Changsha, Passing by Jia Yi's Residence
- 068 韓愈 謁衡嶽廟遂宿嶽寺題門樓 translation: An Inscription on the Gatehouse after Paying Respects at the Mt Heng Shrine and Lodging at the Mountain Temple, by Hán Yù
- 李白 早發白帝城 translation: Setting Off Early from Baidi City, by Li Bai (下江陵)
- 李白 勞勞亭 translation: Pavilion of Misery, by Li Bai
- 《时间都去哪儿了》 lyrics translation: Where Has the Time Gone?
- A "Chinese" puzzle sent to me by a reader: 冊月水三 了口臼尺 山月了 七口...
- Book review: Tuttle Reading and Writing Chinese
- '李白 宮中行樂詞 一 translation: Lyrics for Wandering in the Palace I, by Li Bai (小小生金屋)'
- My favourite Chinese learning tools
- What is the main Chinese language? What is Standard Chinese?
- The best Android Chinese input method: Google Pinyin Input (谷歌拼音输入法)
- 李白 遠別離 translation: Distant Parting, by Li Bai
- '李清照 醉花陰 translation: (Lyrics for the Tune of) Drunk in Blossom Shade, by Li Qingzhao'
- 汪曾祺 尾巴 translation: Tail, by Wang Zengqi (小说三篇)
- 王維 苦熱行 translation: Ballad of Suffering from the Heat, by Wang Wei
- Convenient mark-up for CJK languages in Wordpress (HTML + CSS)
- How to get a Chinese name
- How to type Chinese quotation marks on Mac OS (「」, 『』 and 《》 )
- '王維 酬虞部蘇員外過藍田別業不見留之作 translation: Composed in Reply to Secretary Su of the Board of Concern, Who Passed By Lantian Residence But Did Not Stay, by Wang Wei'
- '王維 送元二使安西 translation: Seeing Off Yuan Er on His Mission to Anxi, by Wang Wei'
- 王維 辛夷塢 translation: Magnolia Wall, by Wang Wei (輞川集)
- 孫子 兵法 始計 translation: Laying Plans, The Art of War, by Sun Zi
- 王維 欒家瀨 translation: Luan Family Rapids, by Wang Wei (輞川集)
- 王維 欹湖 translation: Yi Lake, by Wang Wei (輞川集)
- Amazon China: the best source of Chinese ebooks ever?
- Questions about studying an East Asian language at university
- How to improve your Chinese listening in the early stages (reader question)
- Chinese time format for coding: %Y年%m月%e日 %A %I:%M %p
- 柳宗元 江雪 translation: River Snow, by Liu Zongyuan (Jiang Xue)
- '李煜 謝新恩 · 櫻花落盡階前月 translation: Cherry Blossom Completely Falls Before the Steps Under the Moon, by Li Yu (Gratitude for New Favour)'
- 詩經 柏舟 translation: Cypress Boat, from the Classic of Poetry
- 王維 相思 translation: Yearning, by Wang Wei
- 'My undergraduate dissertation: Changing Trajectories of Wang Meng and Liu Binyan'
- '孟郊 遊子吟 (Yóuzǐ Yín) translation: Song of the Wanderer, by Meng Jiao'
- 女曰雞鳴 translation: The Wife Says the Rooster Crows (Classic of Poetry 詩經)
- 李商隱 夜雨寄北 translation: Sent North in Night Rain, by Li Shangyin
- 杜牧 贈別 其二 translation: Parting II, by Du Mu
- 'Hanzi and kanji: differences in the Chinese and Japanese character sets today'
- 李商隱 無題 · 來是空言去絕踪 translation: Untitled (Promises to Come Were Empty Words; Gone Without Trace), by Li Shangyin
- 歐陽脩 畫船載酒西湖好 translation: A Painted Boat Carrying Wine, by Ouyang Xiu (采桑子)
- '柳宗元 秋曉行南谷經荒村 translation: On an Autumn Morning, Travelling on a Southern Valley Path to a Deserted Village, by Liu Zongyuan'
- 歐陽脩 平生為愛西湖好 translation: All One's Life One has Loved It, by Ouyang Xiu (采桑子)'
- '蘇軾 冬至日獨遊吉祥寺 translation: On the Winter Solstice, Travelling Alone to the Temple of Fortune, by Su Shi'
- The 'word-character error' whilst learning Chinese
- What does Bradley Cooper say in Chinese at the end of Limitless? (2011)
- Fourth year final exam results, Easter 2013 (AMES)
- 60 Chinese words for death
- You can still read Chinese with the hanzi jumbled up
- A Chinese joke about accidental bank robbers (more homophone puns)
- 蘇軾 戲子由 translation: Teasing Zi You, by Su Shi