On the night of their four-year dating anniversary, Evan requested that Shelly meet him for a cocktail at the Hilton Americas – Houston before dinner. “When I arrived at the bar, Evan was nowhere to be found, but the bartender gave me the sweetest note from him, asking me to meet him in the elevator lobby of the 11th floor (where we had first spent all night talking at a work conference in 2010). I was escorted to the elevator and as soon as I stepped out, Evan was on one knee waiting for me,” she recounts. After lots of hugs, photos and a few glasses of bubbly, he took her to a surprise dinner where their friends and family were waiting to celebrate the good news!
“I wanted a timeless look for the wedding— black tuxedos, long charcoal gray bridesmaid dresses and lots of white and green decor,” adds Shelly.
The newlyweds and guests indulged in a fabulous donut station by Hugs & Donuts !
“Our wedding was the best day of my life. We danced all night long, and we didn’t want it any other way,” the bride recounts. We wouldn’t want it any other way either! Congrats Shelly and Evan, we wish you a lifetime of good health, happiness and LOVE. Thanks MD Turner Photography for the beautiful photos!
Photography & Videography: MD Turner Photography | Proposal Location: Hilton Americas – Houston | Donut Station: Hugs & Donuts]]>
Photo: Courtesy of BE a 10 Fitness
A recent bride herself, Bray creates custom training regimens and nutrition plans for brides, grooms and the entire wedding party. Whether you’re a fitness fanatic, or looking to up your game, Bray has a regimen to help you look your best.
Take a quick look at these exercises Bray recommends for three of our favorite bridal gown styles. And in case you missed our 4/20 Facebook Live broadcast, we’ve posted it below for demos of each workout!
Photo: Steve Lee Photography | Gown: Stephen Yearick from Weddings by Debbie
A-Line & Ballgown Wedding Dress: These exercises focus on toning your arms, core and chest to get rid of any unwanted flab or “batwings” before slipping into this classic wedding look!
Photo: Serendipity Photography | Gown: Brickhouse Bridal
Trumpet/Mermaid/Drop Waist Wedding Dress: These exercises focus on your hips, thighs and butt, which will all be emphasized with this sexy wedding dress style. With a few arm exercises mixed in, brides will also look their best in strapless options.
Photo: Philip Thomas Photography | Gown: Joan Pillow Bridal Salon
Sheath Wedding Dress: These exercises crush your arms, core, legs, shoulders and more. The draping of a sheath dress may seem simple, but it requires a rocking bod underneath in order to look fabulous.
Ready to achieve your wedding goals? Book your “FIT to BE a MRS,” “Bridal Bootcamp” or other wedding packages with BE a 10 Fitness today! And be sure to tell Rebekah you found her awesome exercises on the Houston Wedding Blog.]]>
Houston bride, Elandrea, had her eye on Mark for a while in college. “Luckily we had a mutual friend that talked to Mark for me. We exchanged numbers, became friends and started dating a year later,” she explains. When Mark started to think up the most creative way possible to propose, he channeled his tech background and created a game app that he was going to convince Elandrea to play. “He asked me to get my nails done, which struck me as odd, since was really not in his nature to do so. When I came home he also said that he wanted to take me for dinner,” adds Elandrea. “Before we left, he told me he wanted me to test out the game he was working on. I began to play the game like normal, and all of a sudden the song ‘Thinking Out Loud’ by Ed Sheeran came on, while images of us were popping up. Eventually a poem came on the screen, and then (here it comes!) a message that said, ‘Will you marry me,’” she recounts.
The lovebirds tied the knot in front of their nearest and dearest at Hotel Galvez & Spa. “My aim for the wedding was a tropical feel with beautiful, vibrant colors,” says Elandrea. Their color palette of orange, purple, fuchsia and gold set the tone for a bright, fun wedding atmosphere.
“My favorite moment was dancing with my dad. We always clown together, so our dance was definitely a show to watch and remember,” Elandrea adds.
We couldn’t be happier for these two. Congrats and best wishes from all of us at Weddings in Houston!
Photos: Point and Click Photography | Venue: Hotel Galvez & Spa | Mother-of-the-Bride Dress: MLD Limited]]>
Gown Alterations: MW Couture | Wedding Gown: Brickhouse Bridal | Photography: Ever & Anon Photography
1. The First Fitting — Wooldridge and her team strive to create the most welcoming and comfortable environment possible for the clients who have entrusted MW Couture with their wedding-day look. One way she does this is by reminding brides from the very first phone call to bring their slip, bra and shoes to their first fitting, so she and her team can get the entire look right from the get-go.
2. Dress With Care — Wooldridge also dresses the bride herself, paying special attention to every detail of the dress. She says that this helps her client feel more confident, as she expertly sets the gown to each bride’s body.
3. Find the Vibe — “Sometimes having the bride describe her wedding is like looking into a crystal ball. It lets me know her personality,” Wooldridge says. By hearing more about the event, Wooldridge can determine if she should go more romantic, modern or elegant with the design and fitting.
4. Listen and Answer — “The first time the bride comes in she might be very emotional,” Wooldridge says. She and her team listen intently to make sure they don’t miss any key elements the bride might mention, and that they answer all questions and address all concerns with confidence and empathy.
Gown Alterations: MW Couture | Wedding Gown: Brickhouse Bridal | Photography: Ever & Anon Photography
5. Talk It Out — Once alterations are underway, Wooldridge and her team go into great detail to explain all changes that have been made to the dress and offer any further ideas they might have, leaving the floor open for the bride to ask questions of her own. “Everything has a solution,” Wooldridge says. “I am trying to find the best solution, so she can have a dress that is both personal and unique.”
6. Right On Time — The team at MW Couture is always conscious of brides’ timeframes and takes pride in making achievable alterations within acceptable pickup dates.
7. Quality, Quality, Quality — Wooldridge insists that all alterations at MW Couture are “equal to or better than the original construction of the dress.” We can vouch for that!
8. Conclude with Gratitude — Lastly, Wooldridge thanks the bride for trusting the family at MW Couture with the most important garment for the most important day of her life! She wishes all wedding couples luck and a lifetime of memories.
Alterations: MW Couture | Gown: Lillian West from Whittington Bridal | Photo: Brad Adcock Photography
There are few experts in the wedding business as professional and caring as Minerva Wooldridge and the team at MW Couture! Want to get your perfect fit? Schedule a consultation with MW Couture today!]]>
On a perfectly ordinary afternoon, after Rikki returned from a friend’s bridal shower, a surprise proposal awaited her. “Boris and I had planned on going for a walk on the beach when I got home. Once I opened the door of our apartment, I knew something was up. There were flower petals on the ground, flowers from my favorite flower shop all over, candles, and pictures of us from the past four years all over the walls,” recounts Rikki. “I found Boris waiting for me on our balcony on one knee, and he asked for my hand in marriage with the most beautiful ring!”
“I felt like Cinderella in my Mira Zwillinger dress from Joan Pillow Bridal Salon,” says Rikki.
“Our wedding felt like a dream! So many of our closest friends traveled from all over the U.S. to celebrate with us,” adds Rikki.
The ballroom had a very romantic, elegant feel with white, blush and pink flowers accented with soft candlelight.
The night ended with ice cream sandwiches from Smoosh Cookies’ truck for everyone to enjoy.
“Our parents went above and beyond and gave us a wedding weekend we will never forget,” says Rikki. Thanks, Adam Nyholt, for the beautiful photos!
Photos: Adam Nyholt | Bridal Gown: Joan Pillow Bridal Salon | Registry: Bering’s, Kuhl-Linscomb | Baker: Susie’s Cakes & Confections]]>
Every element of your wedding should reflect you and your boo down to the very last drop. The team at Capitol Beverage Service, Houston’s beverage and bar catering connoisseurs, are pros at doing just that. In addition to their stellar wine, beer, Champagne and liquor packages, owner Ceci Kammer and her team can create refreshing signature cocktails customized for each client’s unique wedding!
“We often serve very simple drinks,” Kammer, says. “Our clients want a lot of flavor and something special, but not anything too fussy with hard-to-find ingredients.”
We asked Kammer to share a few of her favorite wedding cocktail recipes with us at the Houston Wedding Blog. We did you the favor of testing them out ourselves. Keep reading to get a taste of your own!
Brunch Sparkler – “This is a light, refreshing and super flavorful drink!”
Paloma with a Twist! – “A twist on the old classic with a pretty spectacular taste!”
Tray: Kuhl-Linscomb | Utensil: Bering’s
Simple Summer Cooler – “This is a summer staple in our arsenal. It is also one that you can play with to make it your own!”
Interested in creating a craft wedding cocktail of your own for your big day? Be sure to schedule a consultation with Capitol Beverage Service to fill your every wedding beverage need. And make sure to let them know you found their fabulous wedding cocktail ideas on the Houston Wedding Blog!]]>
Lauren and Steve truly believe that fate brought them together. “I met Steve on his first night in Houston after graduation. He was having a housewarming party, and I was invited through his roommates. As soon as I arrived, I noticed Steve and how attractive he was! He was the DJ for the night, and I told him how much I loved his music and how I wanted to add him on Facebook so I could add his Spotify music account,” says Lauren…admitting that she really just needed an excuse to continue talking to him.
After exchanging messages, Steve asked Lauren out on a date. “I was having a procedure the next day, but I was so excited that he asked me out, I couldn’t say no,” Lauren adds. “He took me out to dinner but I couldn’t eat, so he didn’t eat either. [Awww] We just had water and tea, and talked for hours! I knew right then that he was the kind of guy I wanted to end up with,” she says.
For his marriage proposal, Steve made the occasion seem like a normal date night to Lauren. “He told me that he was taking me out for a nice dinner, which was not uncommon,” she recounts. The plan was to dine at the top of the highest building in downtown Houston. “I got all dressed up in my new dress that Steve bought for me a few days before. When we arrived at the top of the JP Morgan Chase Tower, it was then I noticed the candles that were surrounding us. Steve said so many sweet things, most of which I will never remember because I was so excited, and dropped to one knee,” she says. But that wasn’t the end of the surprise—Steve had arranged for Lauren’s family and friends to be at the actual dinner location to celebrate!
“Our wedding day was everything I had dreamed of since I was a child. I got to marry the love of my life with my best friends by my side,” Lauren says. Favorite moment? “When all of my stress and craziness vanished as the doors of The Bell Tower on 34th chapel opened and I got to see my husband for the first time, wiping tears from his eyes,” she adds.
We couldn’t help but fall in love with their love story and wedding photos. Congrats and best wishes to the newlyweds!
Photos: Cotton Weddings | Venue: The Bell Tower on 34th | Bridal Luncheon: Brennan’s of Houston]]>
Photo: Lipstick and Brunch
Social consciousness may not be the first thing that comes to mind when planning a day that’s all about you and the one you love, but introducing a cause to your wedding ceremony can make you and your guests feel an even deeper sense of compassion and connection. Giving back actually can create a feeling known in scientific circles as the “giver’s glow,” where dopamine and endorphin levels rise, making you feel euphoric and tranquil.
Planning a wedding built on social good can give you a sense of purpose and gratification that last long after you leave the dance floor and say goodnight. I’ve rounded up a few of my favorite ideas for introducing philanthropy into your big day.
1. Find Your Dress — We all dream of saying “yes to the dress,” but how great would it feel to find a dress that makes someone else feel as good as you will when you walk down the aisle? There’s an under-publicized market for fair trade, eco-friendly and charitable gowns that are as gorgeous and intricate as anything you’d find in a boutique.
Celia Grace, a nationally-acclaimed wedding dress designer, empowers dressmaking women in Cambodia and India with fair trade income that helps break the cycle of poverty. To make the deal even sweeter, Celia Grace will donate one school uniform to a Cambodian child in need for every dress sold.
Photo: Courtesy of Pure Magnolia Couture
Eco-friendly environmentalists will love Pure Magnolia Couture, an Etsy shop that creates sustainable dresses from recycled fibers. If you’re more of a fundraising gal, buy a dress or donate your own to Brides for a Cause, an organization that raises money for various women’s causes.
2. Pop the Question to Your Bridal Party — Give your bridal party a gift that gives back. When sending your bridal party announcements, throw in a token of appreciation that they can wear down the aisle in social good style.
Photo: Jillian Goltzman | Earrings: Sasa Designs | Paper Products: Cause Box
Support physically challenged women and men in impoverished countries with understated and elegant earrings from Sasa Designs. To help fund college tuition for inner-city students in the United States, pop the question with the bridesmaid collection from The Shine Project.
3. Get Ready in Style — Pamper yourself and your maids with socially conscious staples when getting ready for your big day. Define Me Fragrance, a cruelty-free perfume company, donates $1 from every bottle sold to She’s The First, a nonprofit that provides scholarships to girls in low-income countries with the goal of creating first-generation graduates.
Photo: Jillian Goltzman | Perfume: Define Me Fragrance | Hair ties: Banded | Necklace: The Giving Keys
When your girl gang decides to let loose on the dance floor, Banded hair ties will sweep up their locks into the perfect top knot while providing three meals to a child in Uganda, Latin America or the Caribbean.
4. The Centerpieces and Bouquets — Incorporate positive prints and philanthropic accents within your table decor at your “feel good” festivities. DEW Collection bouquets make thoughtful centerpieces, since the company plants a tree for every arrangement purchased, in partnership with the organization One Tree Planted. After all is said and done, donate your wedding flowers to Floranthropy, an organization that will deliver your event blooms to assisted living homes, hospitals and nonprofit organizations throughout Houston.
Photo: Jillian Goltzman | Bouquet: DEW Collection
5. Cater with Care — When working with a catering service, ask if they have a food rescue program in place. If not, have a volunteer from your bridal party bring the feast’s leftovers to a local shelter. Check out this list of Houston homeless shelters to get your giving juices flowing.
See?? The shift from “I do,” to “I donate,” is easier than you thought! Happy giving, xoxo, Jillian Goltzman from Cup of Charisma,]]>
Design: TNT Events | Photo: Civic Photos
Because of Trish’s stellar taste and knack for all things design and decor, we asked her to share with us four floral design inspirations from every season. Take a peek below and let those ideas blossom!
Photos: Courtesy of TNT Events
Winter: We love the subtle blue hues of these Dusty Miller leaves, mixed with large white petals and smaller green accents in TNT’s winter floral display! This look says elegance with a hint of eclectic, rustic charm. The boutonnière on the left also perfects the use of natural elements in a masculine look.
Spring: Nothing shouts springtime like a dash of bold, bright colors. The mix of hot pink blooms, blush roses and eclectic greenery is the perfect combination for brides who want their wedding day look to really pop!
Summer: A softer look, complete with pink and peach garden roses, accented by beautiful baby’s breath makes for the most romantic of summer looks. Houston brides might want to stay away from the Texas heat outside, but there’s no reason they can’t have a lush flower display in hand like this one from TNT!
Fall: As the colors change throughout the rest of the country (not so much in Houston), fall floral arrangements follow suit. We love the warm orange and yellows on display here, with the adorable purple succulent that ties the whole look together to create something truly unique! This look is perfect for the less traditional of brides, looking to push the envelope, but remain elegant.
Like what you see? Have some ideas in bloom? Schedule a consultation with TNT Events today! And don’t forget to tell Trish you heard about her on the Houston Wedding Blog!]]>
It wasn’t long before Chris planned the perfect, intimate proposal for Monica. They went for a couple’s massage, got chocolate truffles form Liebman’s and then took a long walk around Terry Hershey Park. He originally planned to propose to Monica at the park, but in typical Houston fashion, it began to rain. Chris decided to take her back to his house, where they relaxed on the couch with the box of chocolates. “We were talking, but I could tell he was holding something back,” says Monica. “I thought maybe he was turned off by the way I was eating chocolates (lol). He then nervously started to tell me how much I meant to him and popped the question,” recounts Monica.
Monica walked down the aisle in style wearing a full-sleeved lace gown from Houston Bridal Gallery, and danced the night away at the rustic, Spanish wedding venue, Agave Estates . “Our wedding was a dream come true from the ceremony, to our final exit for the night,” says Monica. “My favorite moment was when we recited our vows to each other, and promised to spend forever together in front of our closest family and friends. Everyone came together to celebrate us and it was a night we’ll never forget,” adds Monica. We couldn’t be happier for these two!
Photos: Ama Photography & Cinema | Venue: Agave Estates | Wedding Dress: Houston Bridal Gallery | Invitations: Bella Dia Stationery]]>