Latest Posts



By Dave Jones on Aug 23, 14 12:14 AM in Anglesey League


PICTURE: Llangefni Town Reserves take on Gaerwen Reserves (Photo: ALED JONES)


Cefn Druids 0 Aberystwyth Town 5, Prestatyn Town 3 gap Connah's Quay 2, The New Saints 2 Bangor City 0.

Division Two: Halkyn United 0 Greenfield 2.

Reserves Division: Chirk AAA L Penycae L, Corwen 1 Llangollen 2, Gresford Athletic L Coedpoeth Utd. L

Llangefni Town Reserves 2 Gaerwen Reserves 1.


THE Bob Brodie Trophy is awarded annually to the top goal-scorer in Anglesey senior Saturday football.
It is given in honour of the late Bob Brodie, the former Holyhead-based Scotsman who successfully managed numerous island clubs until he sadly passed away in 2011.

Past winners (2011/12 - Mel McGinness (Holyhead Hotspur) 50; 2012/13 - Lance Williams (Menai Bridge Tigers) 62; 2013/14 - Gary Jo Owen (Morawelon) 57).

2014/15 (up to and including August 20, 2014)
8 - Danny Brookwell (Menai Bridge Tigers)
6 - Gareth Barker (Menai Bridge Tigers)
5 - Dewi Thomas (Llannerchymedd), Craig Roberts (Glantraeth)
4 - Matthew Jones (Llannerchymedd), Craig Evans (Llangefni Town)
3 - Dion Williams (Menai Bridge Tigers), Kelvin Frazer (Gwalchmai), Ryan Booth (Trearddur Bay)
2 - Robbie Williams (Bodedern Athletic), Dan Connelly (Bodedern Athletic), Neil Hughes (Glantraeth), Pip Briggs (Gaerwen), Steve Sinclair (Llangefni Town). Dave Hayes (Gaerwen), Craig Moore (Trearddur Bay), Alex Davies, Dave Baston and Sion Hogan (all Menai Bridge Tigers), Dewi Thomas (Trearddur Bay Res), James Burgess and Paul Evans (both Gwalchmai), Steve Jones, Marcus Orlik and Sion Davies (all Glantraeth).



By Dave Jones on Aug 22, 14 12:39 AM in Anglesey League


Picture: Bodedern (green and white) in action against Glantraeth on Wednesday (photo: ALED JONES)


Cefn Druids v Aberystwyth Town, Prestatyn Town v gap Connah's Quay, The New Saints v Bangor City (7.45pm).

Division Two: Halkyn United v Greenfield.

Reserves Division: Chirk AAA v Penycae, Corwen v Llangollen, Gresford Athletic v Coedpoeth Utd.

Llangefni Town Reserves v Gaerwen Reserves.


Airbus UK Broughton v Port Talbot Town, Carmarthen Town v Rhyl, Newtown v Bala Town.

Buckley Town v Rhayader Town, Caersws v Porthmadog, Denbigh Town v Llanidloes Town, Flint Town United v Mold Alexandra, Holyhead Hotspur v Guilsfield, Llandrindod Wells v Conwy Borough, Penycae v Caernarfon Town, Rhydymwyn v Llandudno.

LOCK STOCK WELSH ALLIANCE (2.30pm unless stated)
Division One: Barmouth and Dyffryn v Llanrwst United (6.30pm), Bodedern Athletic v Llanberis, Llandudno Junction v Llanfairpwll, Pwllheli v Llanrug United (11am).
Division Two: Gaerwen v Llangefni Town, Llannerchymedd v Bethesda Athletic, Meliden v Pentraeth, Mynydd Llandegai v Trearddur Bay United.

Premier Division: Borras Park Albion v Hawarden Rangers, Brymbo v Overton, Coedpoeth Utd v Gresford Athletic, FC Nomads of CQ v Corwen, Llangollen Town v Llay Welfare, Penyffordd v Brickfield Rangers, Rhos Aelwyd v Ruthin Town, Saltney Town v Chirk AAA.
Division One: Acrefair Youth v FC Queens Park, AFC Brynford v Penley, CPD Caerwys v Garden Village, Johnstown Youth v Lex Glyndwr, Llanuwchllyn v Castell AC, New Brighton Villa v Argoed United.
Reserves Division: Castell AC v Ruthin Town, Cefn Druids v FC Nomads of CQ, Hawarden Rangers v Saltney Town, Mold Alex v Rhos Aelwyd.
Reserves & Colts Division: Brickfield Rangers v Penyffordd, FC Queens Park v Brymbo, Garden Village v Borras Park Albion, Hawarden Rangers Colts v Ruthin Town Colts, Holywell Town v Argoed United, Lex Glyndwr v New Brighton Villa, Overton v Mold Alex Colts.

Aston Park Rangers v Cefn Albion, Flint Mountain v Connah's Quay Tigers, Gresford SSFC v Castle Park, Halkyn United v Acton, Mold Town United v Flint Town United, Sychdyn v Aston.

GWYNEDD LEAGUE (2.30pm unless stated)
Nefyn United v Llanllyfni (2pm), Aberffraw v Barmouth and Dyffryn Res, Harlech Town v Waunfawr, Llanberis Reserves v Talysarn Celts, Llanrug United Res v Bontnewydd, Menai Bridge Tigers v Llanystumdwy, Y Felinheli v Holyhead Hotspur Res.

Bro Goronwy v Holy Isle, Llanfairpwll Reserves v Valley.


Division One: Penrhyndeudraeth v Gwalchmai (3.30pm)
Division Two: Blaenau Amateurs v Penmaenmawr Phoenix (11am), Nantlle Vale v Amlwch Town (6.30pm).



By Dave Jones on Aug 22, 14 12:25 AM in Welsh Alliance

Report: Steve Roberts

HOLYWELL TOWN 5 (Jones 2, 1 pen, Thomas, Lloyd 2)
KINMEL BAY 1 (Foulkes pen)

TOWN maintained their 100% record as a 5-1 thrashing of Kinmel Bay delivered them a third straight win.
The game opened brightly and Holywell were soon into their stride as the first real chance fell on six minutes.
Paul Williams cut inside into the box from the right and rode a couple of challenges and tried to get a better angle on goal to shoot but couldn't so he passed it out to Steve Thomas who was deemed to be fractionally offside.
A few minutes later, Town won a free kick on the left and Sam Jones delivered a great ball into the box and the forwards left it but Steve Sayburn was alert to the danger and cleared off the line.
The ball only travelled as far as Tom McElmeel, whose shot was blocked on the line. Despite shouts for handball, the referee waved play on.
Kinmel Bay's first chance fell on 16 minutes. Andreas Alvarado broke clear down the right and his cross towards Ashley Wood was dealt brilliantly by Matty Harvey, who headed clear.
A few minutes later, Town should have taken the lead. Steve Thomas, who was having a good game on the left, broke clear and his cross was met by Paul Williams, whose first time effort hit the bar and went out for a goal kick.
Harvey then got a great ball across the face of goal but McElmeel watched as Sayburn saved his shot, getting down early to gather.
Town won another corner and it fell to Harvey but his header flew over the bar.
Then came two penalties in the space of two minutes.
The first fell to Kinmel Bay after Alvarado was brought down by John Davies and Gene Foulkes made no mistake from the spot to give the visitors the lead.
Town did not let this get to them and a minute or so later, they were level.
Sam Jones broke clear down the left and cut inside into the box. He rounded the keeper who consequently tugged at his shirt, but the referee waved play on and Jones watched in despair as his effort rebounded off the post to safety.
The referee, however, blew for a penalty for the earlier tug on the player's shirt and Jones stood up himself to take it and made no mistake to equalise for the Wellmen.
The second half was 10 minutes old when Town took a deserved lead.
Sam Jones ran on at goal from the left and again hit the ball past the oncoming keeper but this time found the net.
Five minutes later, it was 3-1 as Steve Thomas pounced at the back post after once again, brilliant work by Jones as his cross flew across the face of the goal, helped by the faintest of touches off the goalkeeper's hands and Thomas was on hand to slide the ball home.
Phil Lloyd put the game beyond Kinmel Bay's reach with number four on 68 minutes before he added his second on 75.
Dafydd Griffith put in a great cross to the far post, Thomas was there to head the ball back into the centre where Lloyd was on hand to nod home.
Next up for Holywell Town is the Bank Holiday Monday early kick-off against Llandyrnog United, which is part of the GroundHop weekend.



By Dave Jones on Aug 22, 14 12:24 AM in Welsh Alliance

REPORT: Matthew Lewis

LLANDUDNO JUNCTION 2 (Lundstrum, Kane)

LLANDYRNOG United suffered their first loss of the campaign Tuesday night at the hands of an impressive Junction side.
It was very much a game of two halves with Division One leaders Junction looking the most threatening in the first as they chased down every ball and did not give United a second to think.
An early goal from former Denbigh striker Mike Lundstrum followed 10 minutes later by a second when a Jordan Kane free-kick found itself in the Dyrny net after a rare mistake from United's number one Dan Jones meant the villagers went in trailing 0-2 at the interval.
Undeterred the hosts came out with all guns blazing and thought they had got back in the game when Matt Pendleton netted only for the referee to rule a dubious offside.
Billy Holmes made a great run, nutmegging one player on the way and finding himself with a great opportunity for goal only for the ball to fall agonisingly to his unfavoured right foot.
Josh Taylor's long range effort looked destined for the top corner only to be denied by a great save from the travelling Junction number one.
Sixteen-year-old Ifan Jones made his first team debut after impressing managers Lloyd and Hughes throughout pre-season and looked very lively up top and settled into senior football well.
Rhys Llwyd also found himself through on goal but his cheeky attempt at chipping the keeper didn't quite work out.
However, after a succession of Llandyrnog corners up rose centre half Les Brophy to power home a header in the final minutes as United agonisingly watched the clock and ran out of time.



By Dave Jones on Aug 20, 14 10:46 PM in Gwynedd League

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for afootball2.jpg

Wednesday, August 20

Word Cup round one
Guilsfield 2 Caernarfon Town 3.

Lock Stock Welsh Alliance
Division One: Glan Conwy 3 Llanrwst United 0, Glantraeth 10 Bodedern Athletic 0, Holywell Town 5 Kinmel Bay 1, Llanberis 1 Penrhyndeudraeth 5.
Division Two: Amlwch Town 1 Llannerchymedd 2, Llangefni Town 1 Mynydd Llandegai 2, Meliden 7 Mochdre Sports 1.

Gwynedd League
Barmouth and Dyffryn Res 3 Harlech Town 2, Beaumaris Town 0 Llanrug Utd Res 12, Bontnewydd 3 Llanberis Res 1, Llanllyfni 2 Talysarn Celts 2, Menai Bridge Tigers 2 Holyhead Hotspur Res 2, Y Felinheli 2 Aberffraw 1.


PICTURE: Corey Sinnott in action for Gwalchmai at Llanfairpwll

Tuesday, August 19

Caersws 3 Llandudno 5, Porthmadog 0 The New Saints 2.

Division One: Llandyrnog United 1 Llandudno Junction 2, Llanfairpwll 1 Gwalchmai 5, Pwllheli 3 Barmouth and Dyffryn 1.
Division Two: Bethesda Athletic 3 Blaenau Amateurs 1, Greenfield 2 St Asaph City 1, Halkyn United 1 Penmaenmawr Phoenix 2, Pentraeth 0 Nantlle Vale 5, Trearddur Bay United 1 Gaerwen 2.

Premier Division: Borras Park Albion 0 Corwen 2, Chirk AAA 4 Brickfield Rangers 2, FC Nomads of CQ 0 Hawarden Rangers 0, Ruthin Town 6 Brymbo 1.
Reserves Division: No details available
Reserves & Colts Division: No details available

Llanystumdwy 1 Nefyn United 0.

Acton 4 Gresford SSFC 3, Aston 3 Halkyn United 1, Castle Park 0 Aston Park Rangers 10, Cefn Albion 4 Flint Mountain 0, Connah's Quay Tigers 4 Flint Town United 1, Deeside Phoenix 1 Sychdyn 2.

Monday, August 18

gap Connah's Quay 0 Rhyl 2


THE Bob Brodie Trophy is awarded annually to the top goal-scorer in Anglesey senior Saturday football.
It is given in honour of the late Bob Brodie, the former Holyhead-based Scotsman who successfully managed numerous island clubs until he sadly passed away in 2011.

Past winners (2011/12 - Mel McGinness (Holyhead Hotspur) 50; 2012/13 - Lance Williams (Menai Bridge Tigers) 62; 2013/14 - Gary Jo Owen (Morawelon) 57).

2014/15 (up to and including August 17, 2014)
8 - Danny Brookwell (Menai Bridge Tigers)
6 - Gareth Barker (Menai Bridge Tigers)
5 - Dewi Thomas (Llannerchymedd)
4 - Matthew Jones (Llannerchymedd), Craig Evans (Llangefni Town)
3 - Dion Williams (Menai Bridge Tigers)
2 - Robbie Williams (Bodedern Athletic), Dan Connelly (Bodedern Athletic), Neil Hughes (Glantraeth), Pip Briggs (Gaerwen), Steve Sinclair (Llangefni Town). Dave Hayes (Gaerwen), Ryan Booth (Trearddur Bay), Craig Moore (Trearddur Bay), Alex Davies, Dave Baston and Sion Hogan (all Menai Bridge Tigers), Dewi Thomas (Trearddur Bay Res).



By Dave Jones on Aug 18, 14 12:47 AM in Welsh Alliance

REPORTS: Matthew Lewis

GWALCHMAI 3 (Sinnott, Burgess, Evans)
LLANDYRNOG UNITED 3 (Llwyd, D Jones, Pendleton)

LLANDYRNOG travelled to Anglesey in high spirits following their two opening game victories but knew Gwalchmai would provide their biggest test yet.
Dan Porter made a welcome return, but captain Danny Roberts, who was nursing a knock after Tuesday's game, pulled up in the warm up which gave the chance for Josh Taylor to make his first start for alongside Rhys Llwyd.
Once again Dyrny found themselves behind when Corey Sinnott put the home side ahead on 19 minutes.
Undeterred United carried on and in similar fashion to Tuesday they were right back in the game only moments later after some great play down the left from Billy Holmes and Porter which gifted Rhys Llwyd a chance to rifle in from 10 yards.
It was a tough blow for the home side who only had the advantage for three minutes and with the momentum now with United they were seeking a second - and they didn't have to wait long.
Within 10 minutes of the leveller Dyrny found themselves ahead when a superb Porter cross from the left found the head of Daniel Jones, who mastered a brilliant looping header over the keeper.
Llandyrnog were well in control now and had several chances to wrap up the game, something that would later come back to haunt them.
Porter found himself in space with Dyrny attacking in numbers but his effort was well blocked then Llwyd almost got his second only for a great stop by the keeper's feet.
With the second half underway Gwalchmai came out fighting, using the wind to their advantage drifting in ball after ball but the Dyrny defence held strong, Les Brophy dominating all aerial challenges and dealing with any threats superbly.
Llwyd thought he had grabbed his second only to be ruled offside by the stand-in linesman.
Gwalchmai began to add more pressure and Dyrny were left to hold on as a couple of chances were cleared off the line.
With just nine minutes remaining Gwalch's James Burgess headed home an equaliser much to the dismay of the United bench.
Llandyrnog once again regrouped and went out for the winner once more.
Matty Pendelton replaced Taylor who had worked tirelessly all game and had an instant impact when his effort rebounded from a brilliant double save only for him to head it home on the line.
Surely this was another three points in the bag for United - but there was another sting in the tail.
Now with less than three minutes remaining a Gwalch corner came in and a foul on Rob Render, who had been superb all game, went unnoticed which led to Paul Evans heading home to give Gwalch a share of the spoils.
A very frustrating day for United who will feel it is two points dropped but more importantly it was another fantastic footballing display from the villagers who remain undefeated.


With match-winner at Barmouth Dan Porter unavailable new addition Rhys Llwyd made his debut for Llandyrnog.
Dyrny started as ever with quick tempo with Billy Holmes causing all kinds of problems down the left wing.
The first half went by without much incident of note, with all the action being saved for the second stanza.
It was Kinmel Bay who drew first blood when Andreas Alvardo tapped home from a few yards out on 48 minutes after goalkeeper Daniel Jones appeared to be fouled but play was waved on.
Moments later Sion Davies levelled for the hosts when he turned his man and fired home a great driven shot into the bottom far post corner, a great goal and one he deserved after working tirelessly in the centre of the park.
Neither side was willing to settle for a point and they both began to up their game, Les Brophy dealing with any Bay attack while Danny Roberts was superb in his left back role.
As Dyrny started to dominate the game this led to a succession of corners and an unlikely hero of the night popped up.
Llandyrnog hall of famer Russ Moorecroft grabbed the all-important winner with arguably the best goal of the centre half's career.
A whipped in corner was headed clear to the edge of the 18 yard box and fell perfectly to Moorecroft who hit it on the volley and the ball flew past five or more players and into the net.
Llwyd almost added a third with another fantastic volleyed effort only to be left broken hearted when the travelling keeper pulled off a brilliant save.
It was a big win for United who showed great character to come from a goal behind and keep their never say die attitude till the end.


REPORT: Paul Scholes
PICTURE: Jill Scholes
PHOTO: John Littlemore wheels away after Bro score a fortunate late winner

BRO GORONWY 1 (Robinson og 86)

A SIGN of good teams is that they can grind out results when not performing at their best and although Bro Goronwy's management team would be extremely disappointed in their display they came away from Llangoed with all the points thanks to a fortunate late winner.
Early exchanges saw home forward Tom Parry blaze over from a set piece and away winger Connor Jones had to watch an effort headed off the line.
Llangoed found the better early touches and looked the more comfortable in possession.
Wayne Thomas' battling run was only denied by a Jonny Sweetser-Hawkes point blank save and Parry could not finish the rebound.
John Littlemore was proving to be the main threat upfront for Goronwy and he was thwarted by a last ditch tackle when sent clear.
Then after good tracking back from Taylor Jones he supplied Henry Williams whose mazy run set up Littlemore to shoot narrowly wide.
Parry should have put Llangoed in front but failed to find the target with an outside of the foot strike.
In the dying moments of the half only a fantastic off the line clearance denied Littlemore as both teams went in at the break all square.
Half Time 0-0.
Substitute Matthew Hogan should have made Sweetser-Hawkes pay for a slipped clearance but could only plant his header wide but worse was to follow as Llangoed only had themselves to blame for not opening the scoring.
Two forwards were sent racing clear and had only Sweetser-Hawkes to beat but instead of confidently finishing the ball was played across and referee Derek Owen had no choice but to rule the goal out for offside.
Llangoed were still looking like the stronger team as Sweetser-Hawkes again kept them at bay, another point blank save from Parry followed a strong handed stop from Wayne Thomas.
Thomas was denied by the post before Bro snatched the win on 86 minutes.
Littlemore found a yard of space in the danger area and struck his shot low down to the keeper's right only for the ball to bounce back off the post, strike glovesman Luke Robinson's rear end and finish in the back of the net.
Bro withheld the final assaults by Llangoed to gain a win that they surely never deserved.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 335 Next


Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Former UK Regional Sports Writer of the Year, Dave writes for the Daily Post, Denbighshire Visitor, North Wales Weekly News, Holyhead and Anglesey Mail and Caernarfon and Denbigh Herald.