To devoted USMNT follower,
It’s been a good run on Blogger, but it’s time to move on to bigger and better things. So US Futblog decided to team up with Bloguin to produce a new, user friendly, beautiful site that will bring you USMNT news in an innovative and exciting way. The new site can be found at the same domain name, www.usfutblog.com, so don’t worry and continue to follow the USMNT.
However, if you want to take a look at my old stuff, feel free to scroll through the archives here.
President and CEO
Here are the match highlights from last night’s 1-0 friendly loss to Paraguay….
In a disappointing result, the US fell to Paraguay 1-0 in tonight’s friendly. The US dominated play for most of the match, but they were never able to breakthrough and score that elusive goal. Individually many US players played well, but as a group it took almost the full 90 minutes for the US to work as a team. For most of the match the US could not link 3 or 4 passes together in order to create real goal scoring chances and were very deliberate in their attentions. However, late in the second half the US looked more dynamic and showed signs of quality.
Here were my in-game notes spiced with some post-game analysis:
– Bradley starts with a 4-4-2 formation
Agudelo and Jozy up front
Chandler at RB, Ream at center back
Edu-Bradley in the middle
I was pretty pleased with Bradley’s line-up choices, except for the inclusion of Bornstein at left back.
– Great opening pass by Ream to Dempsey from the back
It was evident that Ream’s ability to pass out of the back greatly helps the US team.
– Bornstein fails to mark up in the 4th minute, free header for Paraguay from 8 yards out
Bornstein was once again awful tonight. He has a horrible touch and can’t play defense. If he plays during the Gold Cup it will be a disgrace.
– Very creative turn from Agudelo in the early minutes
Agudelo was slicing and dicing defenders all night. He is just so quick and elusive that it’s tough for one defender to stay with him. Not only that but he has a great soccer mind and knows where to go with the ball.
– Bornstein shanks the cross on a goal scoring opportunity set up by Donovan
This was a great goal scoring chance the US had early, but Bornstein completely ruined it.
– I have really liked Dempsey’s creativeness in the midfield so far, looks like his old Fulham self (15th minute)
Dempsey was impressive for most of the match. He was all over the place, making moves and creating chances.
– 18th minute goal from Paraguay, sloppy box play from the US after a corner….DeMerit falls down trying to clear it, as the ball ricochets to a Paraguayan attacker (Cardozo), who buries the ball from 6 yards …Ream fell down earlier and allowed his man to have the free opportunity
Upon replay it looked like Ream got taken down and if not, he would have been there to prevent the goal. Either way it was horrible, sloppy defending by the US. This goal should have never happened.
– US created a good chance in the 20th minute…Chandler cross to Dempsey’s head which goes over the net…good little flick back by Donovan to set up the play
– Great speed by Chandler in the 24th minute leads to a free kick…nothing comes of it
Chandler was threatening Paraguay’s defense all night with his lethal speed. You just can’t teach that.
– Dempsey unleashes a ball from 35 yards out…the ball had some nice dip action and was on target, but it was an easy save
It was a great effort by Dempsey, but if he picked up his head he would of saw that the US had numbers going forward.
– Agudelo creating havoc, drawing fouls….Jozy not doing much
The Altidore-Agudelo forward tandem did not work today, mainly because Altidore had an awful game. Jozy was nowhere to be seen in the US attack.
– Paraguay can’t get out of their own end…33rd minute
Paraguay barely created chances all night.
– Bornstein actually swings in a good cross, Bradley ended up with it and laid it to Dempsey but his shot was way off
– Agudelo draws a foul in a dangerous area in the 41st minute…great step over, deception
– DeMerit comes out hurt in the 42nd, Bocanegra on
DeMerit left the game with a strained right groin
– 2 long range shots from Paraguay saved by Hahnemann, who has been barely tested so far
– Half: Paraguay up 1-0
US dominated the half, but lacked team collectiveness and the final pass/touch to score and at the same time were a little sloppy in the box leading to Paraguay’s one goal, Paraguay has done little but still have the lead.
Man of the Match: tie between Chandler and Agudelo
– Chandler was just flying down that wing whether it was at right back or right midfield. He was very impressive and his ability to cross and create chances for the US is vital
– Agudelo was dangerous all night. He checked to the ball well and showed his ability to hold the ball up in possession. Agudelo is also so skillful with the ball at his feet that he constantly keeps defenders off balance.