Immigration Equality is the leading LGBTQ immigrant rights organization in the country. Each year, we provide advice and legal services to thousands of LGBTQ and HIV-positive immigrants seeking refuge, fair treatment, and freedom in the United States. We work every day to ensure the safety and well-being of our community.
In nearly 80 countries around the world it is a crime to be LGBTQ. For this reason, we fight to obtain asylum in the United States for LGBTQ and HIV-positive refugees. Every year, our caseload grows. Nevertheless, we maintain a remarkable 99% win rate.
Immigration Equality has a robust policy program to make lasting changes in our immigration system. Because we serve more LGBTQ immigrants than any other organization, we spot patterns and trends that no one else sees. Our experience with the system fuels our advocacy initiatives. Together, our law and policy teams fight every day to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our community.
LGBTQ immigrants still need the following policy changes:
- Stop deporting LGBTQ immigrants
- Repeal the arbitrary filing deadline for asylum
- Include us in administrative relief and immigration reform
- Improve conditions in immigration detention
- Increase the use of alternatives to detention
- Decrease asylum backlogs by hiring the appropriate number of asylum officers and immigration judges
- Recognize our families to include those without access to marriage equality
To support Immigration Equality Action Fund, please click here.
Pathways to immigration status
Click image to view at full size.
Our award-winning LGBTQ Asylum Program currently represents people fleeing the more than 80 countries where it is a crime or fundamentally unsafe to be LGBTQ. The Asylum Program pairs LGBTQ and HIV-positive immigrants with top law firms, pro bono partners, and our own legal team, which handles the most difficult cases. We also provide free legal support and advice to empower people to represent themselves.