News and events from NCI-funded research and programs
News & Events
Recent Press Releases
- Newly launched Genomic Data Commons to facilitate data and clinical information sharingJune 6, 2016
The Genomic Data Commons (GDC), a unified data system that promotes sharing of genomic and clinical data between researchers, launched today with a visit from Vice President Joe Biden to the operations center at the University of Chicago.
- NIH study visualizes proteins involved in cancer cell metabolismMay 26, 2016
Scientists using cryo-electron microscopy have broken through a technological barrier in visualizing proteins with an approach that may have an impact on drug discovery and development, capturing images of an enzyme found in cells at a resolution of 1.8 angstroms.
- Increased Physical Activity Associated with Lower Risk of 13 Types of CancerMay 16, 2016
A new study of the relationship between physical activity and cancer has shown that greater levels of leisure-time physical activity were associated with a lower risk of developing 13 different types of cancer; the risk of developing seven cancer types was 20 percent lower among the most active participants as compared with the least active participants.
- Analysis of rare endocrine cancer reveals novel genetic alterationsMay 9, 2016
A molecular characterization of adrenocortical carcinoma, a rare cancer of the adrenal cortex, analyzed 91 cases for alterations in the tumor genomes and identified several novel genetic mutations as likely mechanisms driving the disease as well as whole genome doubling as a probable driver of the disease.
- Elevated bladder cancer risk in New England and arsenic in drinking water from private wellsMay 2, 2016
A new study has found that drinking water from private wells, particularly dug wells established during the first half of the 20th century, may have contributed to the elevated risk of bladder cancer that has been observed in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont for over 50 years.
- NCI opens online platform to submit ideas about research for Cancer MoonshotApril 18, 2016
NCI has launched an online platform to enable the research community and the public to submit ideas on the National Cancer Moonshot efforts.
- Blue Ribbon Panel announced to help guide Vice President Biden’s National Cancer Moonshot InitiativeApril 4, 2016
The Blue Ribbon Panel, a working group of the National Cancer Advisory Board, will recommend how best to advance the themes of the National Cancer Moonshot Initiative. Panel members represent a spectrum of scientific areas, cancer advocacy groups, and pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies.
- Annual Report to the Nation: Cancer Death Rates Continue to Decline; Increase in Liver Cancer Deaths Cause For ConcernMarch 9, 2016
The Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer (1975-2012) shows that death rates continued to decline for all cancers combined, as well as for most cancer sites for men and women, and also for children.
- New study using cryo-electron microscopy shows how potential drugs could inhibit cancerJanuary 28, 2016
An imaging technique called cryo-electron microscopy views, in atomic detail, the binding of a potential drug to a protein in cancer cells.
- TCGA findings on papillary renal cell carcinoma and prostate cancerNovember 5, 2015
Researchers with The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) report new findings on papillary renal cell carcinoma and prostate cancer.