<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><rss xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" version="2.0">
<channel>
			<title>The Weekend Leader</title>
			<atom:link href="https://www.theweekendleader.com/rss/rss.xml" rel="self" type="application/rss+xml"/>
			<link>https://www.theweekendleader.com/</link>
			<description></description>
			<lastBuildDate>Sun, 24 May 2026 07:50:01 +0000</lastBuildDate>
			<docs>https://www.theweekendleader.com/</docs>
			<language>en</language>
<xhtml:meta content="noindex" name="robots" xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"/><item>
<title><![CDATA[Govt To Investigate Agoda, Travel Platforms Over Excessive Cancellation Fees]]></title>
<pubDate><![CDATA[Sat, 23 May 2026 00:00:00 +0000]]></pubDate>
<description><![CDATA[Union Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution Pralhad Joshi on Saturday said he has directed the Department of Consumer Affairs and the Central Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA) to investigate alleged excessive cancellation charges being imposed by Agoda and online ticket booking platforms on consumers. 

In a post on social media platform X, the minister said the probe would examine whether online ticket booking platforms were charging cancellation fees beyond what airlines levy or what is disclosed to consumers at the time of booking.

Joshi said instructions had also been issued to examine the practices of other online ticket booking platforms operating in the country.

?I have directed the Department of Consumer Affairs and CCPA to investigate whether online ticket booking platforms are imposing excessive cancellation charges on consumers, beyond what is charged by airlines or disclosed at the time of booking,? the minister said.

He added that such practices undermine transparency and consumer trust and, if found to be unfair or in violation of consumer rights, could amount to unfair trade practices under the Consumer Protection Act, 2019.

The minister further said the CCPA would take necessary action, including class action measures wherever appropriate, to safeguard consumer interests and ensure fair treatment of consumers.

The move came after Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) National Secretary raised concerns on social media platform X over a large discrepancy in cancellation charges levied by an online travel booking platform and the airline.

In his post, the BJYM leader claimed he had booked an Akasa Air ticket through Agoda and accidentally selected Navi Mumbai instead of Mumbai while making the booking.

According to the post, Agoda showed a cancellation fee of Rs 4,764 and a refund amount of Rs 1,571 when he attempted to cancel the ticket. However, after checking directly with Akasa Air, the airline?s cancellation page reportedly showed a deduction of only Rs 299 and a refund amount of Rs 6,076.

The BJYM leader further claimed that Akasa Air customer care had confirmed that the airline?s cancellation charge was only Rs 299 and that the refund would be processed through Agoda since the booking had been made on the platform.

Questioning the discrepancy, he alleged that the platform was charging nearly 15 times the airline?s actual cancellation fee and sought greater transparency from booking partners.&nbsp;--IANS]]></description>
<link>https://www.theweekendleader.com/Headlines/81118/govt-to-investigate-agoda-travel-platforms-over-excessive-cancellation-fees.html</link>
</item>
<item>
<title><![CDATA[A Quiet Transformation In Gujarat Prisons: 44 Inmates Pass Class 10, 12 Exams]]></title>
<pubDate><![CDATA[Sat, 23 May 2026 00:00:00 +0000]]></pubDate>
<description><![CDATA[A total of 44 inmates lodged in various prisons across Gujarat have successfully cleared the Class 10 and Class 12 examinations conducted by the Gujarat Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board (GSEB), marking a significant outcome of education-based rehabilitation efforts within the state's correctional system. 

According to the Prison Department, the results this year include 22 inmates who passed the Class 10 examination and another 22 who cleared the Class 12 examination.

Officials said the initiative reflects sustained efforts to provide educational opportunities to prisoners through structured academic support, counselling, and access to learning resources within jail premises.

The Gujarat Prisons and Correctional Administration facilitated the examination process by assisting inmates with application procedures, providing textbooks and study materials, and arranging subject-wise classes inside prisons.

Examination centres were also set up within jail premises to ensure that inmates could appear for the board examinations in a regulated environment without logistical barriers.

Director General of Police (DGP) K.L.N. Rao said the inmates who have successfully cleared the examinations would be honoured with certificates by the Prison Department.

"The administration is also working to encourage and support the children of prison inmates as part of broader welfare measures," he added.

Officials further said, "The state?s Home Department, under Deputy Chief Minister Harsh Sanghavi, has supported initiatives aimed at expanding educational access and rehabilitation programmes in prisons."

Regular academic sessions are conducted with the involvement of teachers and subject experts from schools and colleges who visit correctional facilities to guide students preparing for board examinations.

In addition to formal schooling support, prisons in the state have introduced libraries equipped with books and audio learning material.

Officials said these resources are intended to help inmates build study habits, improve focus, and develop positive coping mechanisms.

Radio Prison broadcasts and counselling sessions have also been used as part of ongoing welfare activities to support inmates facing emotional or psychological challenges.

Several inmates who cleared the examinations described education as a turning point during their incarceration.

One inmate said, ?After being sentenced, I felt my life had come to an end. But the inspiration I received through Radio Prison, the welfare office, and jail officials motivated me to return to studies. Today, after succeeding in the examination, I feel alive again after many years.?

Another inmate, who had previously discontinued education due to financial constraints, noted that imprisonment initially led to a period of depression, but counselling and encouragement from prison staff helped him resume his studies and eventually pass the examination.

An inmate who cleared the Class 12 examination said, ?Despite being in prison, my dreams are still alive. I attend music classes twice a week and aspire to become a singer after my release.?

Officials noted that vocational and creative programmes, including music classes and skill development sessions, are being introduced in select prisons to help inmates develop constructive interests alongside academic studies.&nbsp;--IANS]]></description>
<link>https://www.theweekendleader.com/Headlines/81117/a-quiet-transformation-in-gujarat-prisons-44-inmates-pass-class-10-12-exams.html</link>
</item>
<item>
<title><![CDATA[Bengal Govt Cancels Two-Day Bakrid Break, Declares One-Day Holiday]]></title>
<pubDate><![CDATA[Sat, 23 May 2026 00:00:00 +0000]]></pubDate>
<description><![CDATA[The West Bengal government on Saturday issued a notification declaring May 28 as the Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid) holiday this year, cancelling the earlier notification issued under the previous Mamata Banerjee-led regime that had declared a two-day holiday on May 26 and May 27. 

"In terms of Notification No. 4188-F(P2) dated 27 November, 2025, 26 May, 2026 (Tuesday) and 27 May, 2026 (Wednesday) were declared as public holidays on account of the Day before Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid) and Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid) respectively. Now, information has been received that Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid) will be observed on 28 May, 2026 (Thursday). Accordingly, in partial modification of the aforesaid notification, the Governor is pleased to declare 28 May, 2026 (Thursday) as a public holiday under Section 25 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 on account of Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid). 

"Consequent upon the above, the holidays notified earlier for 26 May, 2026 (Tuesday) and 27 May, 2026 (Wednesday) on account of the Day before Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid) and Id-Ud-Zoha (Bakrid) respectively, are hereby cancelled. Accordingly, 26 May, 2026 (Tuesday) and 27 May, 2026 (Wednesday) will be working days for all offices, institutions and establishments to which the aforesaid notification applies,? the notification issued by the state Finance Department read.

After the Trinamool Congress came to power in West Bengal in 2011, ending the 34-year Left Front rule in the state, the list of public holidays for state government employees became longer in several instances.

Several new holidays were also introduced, which were not part of the holiday calendar during the previous Left Front regime.

Now, with the curtailment of the Bakrid holidays, questions have automatically arisen over whether the new regime would bring changes to the rules governing other holidays as well.

Just a few days ago, the new state government led by Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari announced changes in the schedule of summer vacations in state-run schools, extending the duration of the break.

Meanwhile, the state government has alerted all police stations across West Bengal to take all necessary precautions to ensure that the festival is celebrated peacefully throughout the state.&nbsp;--IANS]]></description>
<link>https://www.theweekendleader.com/Headlines/81116/bengal-govt-cancels-twoday-bakrid-break-declares-oneday-holiday.html</link>
</item>
<item>
<title><![CDATA[Chennithala Launches 'Operation Toofan' To Crack Down On Kerala Drug Mafia]]></title>
<pubDate><![CDATA[Sat, 23 May 2026 00:00:00 +0000]]></pubDate>
<description><![CDATA[Launching an aggressive campaign against Kerala?s growing drug menace, Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala on Saturday unveiled ?Operation Toofan -- The Narco Hunt?, a statewide crackdown aimed at dismantling narcotics networks targeting school and college students. 

The announcement came after Chennithala chaired his first high-level meeting with senior police officials after assuming charge as Home Minister earlier this week.

A seasoned administrator handling the crucial portfolio for the second time in his long political career, Chennithala made it clear that the new government would adopt a zero-tolerance approach towards narcotics and criminal syndicates operating across the state.

Describing the drug mafia as one of Kerala?s gravest emerging threats, the Home Minister said the operation would be a sustained and coordinated mission to wipe out the network from its roots.

He warned that narcotics gangs were now deliberately targeting young students and educational campuses, making the fight against drugs not merely a law-and-order issue but a social necessity.

As part of the campaign, strict action will also be initiated against those selling tobacco products near educational institutions.

Chennithala appealed to the public to actively cooperate with the police by reporting suspicious activities and movements in their localities.

The State Police Chief has also been directed to coordinate closely with counterparts in neighbouring states and other parts of the country to track inter-state drug links and supply chains feeding Kerala?s underground narcotics market.

In another major reform initiative, Chennithala announced a comprehensive makeover of 484 police stations across Kerala.

Stressing the need for a more humane and people-friendly policing system, he said police stations should no longer intimidate ordinary citizens seeking justice and assistance.

The Minister also took note of the large number of abandoned and age-old vehicles lying piled up in police station compounds across the state and directed officials to prepare an urgent action plan to clear them.

The announcements signal the beginning of an ambitious overhaul of Kerala?s policing and anti-drug strategy under Chennithala?s leadership, with the government keen to project a tougher and more accessible law enforcement system.

During the previous Congress regime under late Oommen Chandy, Chennithala handled the Home portfolio.&nbsp;--IANS]]></description>
<link>https://www.theweekendleader.com/Headlines/81115/chennithala-launches-operation-toofan-to-crack-down-on-kerala-drug-mafia.html</link>
</item>
<item>
<title><![CDATA[Tamil Nadu Govt Cancels Over 100 Short-Term Tenders Across Key Departments]]></title>
<pubDate><![CDATA[Sat, 23 May 2026 00:00:00 +0000]]></pubDate>
<description><![CDATA[The Tamil Nadu government has cancelled more than 100 short-term tenders issued across several major departments, including Public Works, Electricity, Rural Development and Municipal Administration, as part of a larger move by the newly formed government led by Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay to tighten administrative procedures and bring greater transparency to public works contracts. 
Short-term tenders are generally issued in situations involving urgent or emergency requirements, where the normal bidding period is reduced to speed up the execution of works. Such tenders are often used for projects that require immediate attention and cannot wait for the standard procurement process.

However, the Vijay-led Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK) government, after assuming office, had announced that works should not be carried out through the short-term tender route except under unavoidable circumstances. Acting on this policy decision, the government has initiated a wide-ranging review of tenders that were issued under shortened timelines.

As part of the exercise, several tenders floated during recent weeks have now been withdrawn.

According to official sources, tenders issued between May 13 and May 22 across multiple departments have been identified and subsequently cancelled. The affected departments include the Rural Development Department, Transport Department, Public Works Department (PWD), Electricity Department, Chennai Corporation, Municipal Administration Department and the Water Supply Department.

Authorities said the cancellation of these tenders was undertaken for ?administrative reasons,? although no further details were immediately made available regarding specific projects affected or the financial value involved.

The government had earlier taken action against officials over the issue of short-term tenders. In Chennai Corporation and the Rural Development Department, officials who allegedly proceeded with such tenders despite instructions were placed under suspension. The disciplinary action signalled the government?s intent to enforce strict compliance with its procurement guidelines.

The move is being viewed as part of a broader administrative overhaul by the new government, aimed at increasing scrutiny over public expenditure and ensuring that government contracts follow a more transparent and competitive process.

Officials indicated that future procurement activities are likely to undergo closer monitoring to prevent deviations from prescribed procedures.&nbsp;--IANS]]></description>
<link>https://www.theweekendleader.com/Headlines/81114/tamil-nadu-govt-cancels-over-100-shortterm-tenders-across-key-departments.html</link>
</item>
</channel>
 </rss>